The Effects of Poverty on Children Essay
1217 Words5 Pages
When analyzing children growing up in poverty a lot of factors come into play such as their physical, psychological and emotional development. To grow up in poverty can have long term effect on a child. What should be emphasized in analyzing the effects of poverty on children is how it has caused many children around the world to suffer from physical disorders, malnutrition, and even diminishes their capacities to function in society. Poverty has played a major role in the functioning of families and the level of social and emotional competency that children are able to reach. Children in poverty stricken families are exposed to greater and emotional risks and stress level factors. They are even capable of understanding and dealing with…show more content…
The psychological health of children around the world is detrimental to their abilities to cope, succeed and be able to function normally within social settings. According to Evans and Shamberg ( 2009), “Chronically elevated physiological stress is a plausible model for how poverty could get into the brain and eventually interfere with achievement” (p. 6545- 6549). Children residing in poverty stricken neighborhoods and families tend to experience environmental stressors as well as physical stressors such as educational setbacks, lack of resources and physical demands that are not being met. These stressors can cause a problem in the psychological health of children because of the need to continually adjust to changes and setbacks that stem from poverty. Chronic stress stemming from poverty can cause a setback in the working memory of young adults and decrease the ability for them to store long term information, critically think, comprehend, write and read ( Evans & Shamberg, 2009, p. 6545-6549). Working memory allows individuals to temporarily store information over a certain amount of time and then manipulate that information in order to critically think and produce more ideas and thoughts. Working memory is crucial to a child’s development because it helps them store information for the long term, practice critical thinking
Nine Interesting Suggestions On How To Compose A Cause And Effect Essay On Poverty
Poverty is a worldwide problem that every city, country and many people have had to face at some point in their lives or the lives of their family. It may not be that you have had to live in poverty yourself but you may have experienced poverty through charity work or your life but when you are trying to come up with a cause and effect essay consider these nine interesting suggestions to find ideas on this topic.
- Visit social services – The social services department that is run by any local government will have many examples of poverty for you to experience, consider meeting with social services for insight on this topic.
- Charity venues – Poverty occurs year round and there are many organizations that focus on helping those in need to get the food they need. Consider visiting or working at one of these venues to gain insight on the problem.
- Homeless shelters – Homeless shelters provide assistance to those who have nowhere else to go, sometimes due to poverty. Try visiting one of these locations and you will find many stories that you can use.
- Emergency services – Emergency services such as the fire departments or police will often have experience dealing with impoverished people. Consider talking to these representatives to gain insight on how poverty impacts society for a cause and effect essay.
- Churches and religious organizations – Religions often teach people to help those who are less fortunate so they will often have a large amount of experience dealing with poverty. Try visiting a local church and discuss poverty with the church leaders for insight into this problem.
- Hospitals – When people live in poverty they often do not have medical insurance and they are forced to use emergency services. To gain insight on how poverty and medical issues go hand in hand try talking with a local hospital.
- Less fortunate friends – Is there someone that you know who may have lost a job or is struggling to get by? Consider using their example as part of your writing work.
- Unemployment office – The local unemployment office is a great insight into the plight of living in poverty where many people will wait and try to find work to support their families.
- Hit the streets – Unfortunately, even in the modern world there are examples of poverty on the streets of the cities, try talking with these people and getting their story.
No matter which idea you choose, each one will provide valuable material for a cause and effect essay on poverty.